2017 Festival Proceeds To Benefit ChildServe and The Food Bank of Iowa
The 2017 Italian American Heritage Festival of Iowa has chosen to give back to two outstanding organizations here in central Iowa: ChildServe and The Food Bank of Iowa. A portion of the profits will benefit ChildServe, while food and cash donations from festival visitors will be collected on behalf of The Food Bank of Iowa.
ChildServe is a not-for-profit organization that partners with families to help children with special healthcare needs live a great life. Originally founded in 1928 as a convalescent home for children, today ChildServe provides specialized pediatric health care services to more than 3,500 children in Iowa. Through the support of private insurance, public funds, and the generosity of donors, ChildServe offers accessible, family-centered care unique to each child’s needs, hopes, and dreams.
ChildServe provides services to children with special healthcare needs. In creating a common understanding of the term special health care needs, we note the term “health” is more than a medical definition or the absence of disability. To ChildServe, health is a state of physical, social, cognitive, environmental, and spiritual well-being. This broader concept of health helps us understand the parameters of great life.
The Food Bank of Iowa is a private, not-for-profit organization striving to meet the critical food needs of a diverse population through a network of more than 375 partner agencies in 55 counties. As a non-profit food bank, their primary role is to provide food to the charitable agencies offering direct service to hungry Iowans.
Giving Back to the Community
The Italian American Heritage Festival of Iowa would not be possible without the efforts of the members of three Iowa-based Italian organizations: The Italian American Cultural Center of Iowa, the Societa’ Vittoria Italiana (Vittoria Lodge) and the Society of Italian Americans.
Proceeds from the festival are used by these organizations to promote and preserve the Italian and Italian-American heritage in our communities, to fund scholarships for young Italian Americans, and to give back to the community through donations for worthy causes.
Those in our community that benefited from our charitable efforts over the past six years included:
- Best Buddies
- YESS (Youth Emergency Services and Shelter)
- JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) Greater Iowa Chapter
- Children’s Cancer Connection, Des Moines, Iowa
- Amanda the Panda – Windsor Heights, Iowa
- GiGi’s Playhouse – Des Moines
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Iowa
- Food Bank of Iowa
- Amatrice, Italy Earthquake Victims
- Bidwell Riverside Community Center
- Pioneer Columbus Community Center
- The Catholic Worker House in Des Moines
- Italian American Cultural Center of Iowa Mortgage Relief Donation
- Care Packages to Italian American Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan
- College Scholarships for Italian American Students
- Lincoln High School After-Prom Party
- Dowling High School After-Prom Party
- St. Anthony’s Catholic Church Building Fund
- St. Anthony’s Catholic Church Grotto Project
- St. Anthony Boy Scouts Troop #139
- Multiple Sclerosis Challenge Walk